Sun exposure without protection is dangerous, but you may not fully understand why it’s important to stay protected. Melanoma skin cancer is one of the less common forms of cancer but is more dangerous when it goes undetected because it spreads easily if it’s not caught early and treated immediately. Your dermatologist at Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, can help you identify the signs of melanoma and learn prevention methods to help you avoid the risk of melanoma skin cancer.
Signs of Melanoma Skin Cancer
There are many common signs of melanoma skin cancer that you should be aware of in order to increase your chances of catching it early and avoiding the risk of cancer spreading throughout the body. Some of the symptoms to be aware of are:
- Asymmetrical moles- Moles that have one half that doesn’t match the other.
- Border irregularity- Any mole with ragged, blurred, or irregular borders.
- New, rapidly growing moles- Any mole that pops up suddenly, itches, bleeds, or has a change in color should be looked at immediately.
- Color changes- Any mole that varies drastically in color from other moles.
You should regularly check your moles for any signs of cancer and contact your doctor whenever you notice any drastic changes.
Preventing Skin Cancer
It’s important to take care of your skin and follow any recommendations from your Knoxville, TN, doctor. Some easy forms of prevention are:
- Regularly wearing sunscreen anytime you are outside.
- Wearing clothes that cover your arms and legs.
- Wearing a hat to protect your head and face while out in the sun.
- Regularly checking moles for irregularities.
Contact Your Doctor Today!
If you notice any signs of melanoma skin cancer or you have any questions about it, be sure to contact Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, at (865) 588-1361 today!