Wrinkles affect all of us as we age, but you can do something to prevent or lessen them. At Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, our dermatologists--Dr. Robert C. Griffith and Dr. Robert D. Griffith--offer sensible anti-wrinkle advice you can practice at home. Enjoy a fresher, more youthful appearance, and feel confident, too.
What are wrinkles?
They are folds or creases in the skin, typically appearing on the face, neck and back of the hands as part of aging. Skin dries and becomes less elastic due to decreasing collagen, a protein that keeps you looking youthful.
Wrinkles that form due to aging are called static wrinkles, reports Healthline. Wrinkles that form in areas of muscular contractions are called dynamic wrinkles. Examples of dynamic wrinkles are crow's feet, vertical lip lines, and the furrows which appear across the forehead.
Do I have to have a facelift?
Wrinkles and sagging skin, particularly in the face, make you feel older than you really are. Many people seek more complex wrinkle treatments from the professional team at Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, but really, some common sense prevention can stave off active treatment for years. So, regarding the question about having a facelift, the answer is not necessarily. There's much you can do to prevent wrinkles or reduce their appearance.
What can I do to prevent wrinkles?
Here are some tips to do just that. And, as always, we recommend a skin exam at Griffith Dermatology for everyone 40 and up:
- Limit your sun exposure by covering up, staying in the shade between 10 am and 2 pm, and applying sunscreen to all exposed areas. Use SPF 30.
- Stay well-hydrated. Skin loses moisture more easily with age.
- Do not smoke. There's nothing beneficial about it. Cigarettes only expose your skin to toxic chemicals that discolor it and roughen its texture.
- Eat well. Include plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit in your diet, and avoid processed sugar and carbohydrates because they increase the aging process, states the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD).
- Sleep on your back rather than on one side. Side sleeping puts pressure on your face, causing creases.
- Avoid alcohol as it draws moisture from the skin.
Find out more
At Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, Dr. Robert C. Griffith and Dr. Robert D. Griffith understand that their patients want to look and feel their best. So, they'll join with you in combating the signs of aging, including skin wrinkles. Contact Griffith Dermatology in Knoxville, TN, to learn more or to arrange an aesthetic or medical skin consultation. We can be reached at (865) 588-1361.